Saturday, February 27, 2016

What I Have Learned As a Mom and Teacher

      What I Have Learned As a Mom and Teacher

     I enjoy writing about my experience every year at the annual T.M.E.A. convention, but this year I find myself wanting to write about my experience as a substitute teacher in the classroom.  I am always humbled by those who ask me, "why do you do what you do?".  I like to present workshops that are practical and offer insight to teachers that want to know how I teach "those students" who have a disability.  I have seen a shift over the years as an attendee and presenter at T.M.E.A. because many teachers are getting sick of workshops that want to sell the latest and greatest curriculum and/or technology.  This year was different.  I was shocked and impressed by the offerings this year for teachers who don't know how to deal with the student who has a disability.  I had a much larger turnout for my workshop than I was expecting, but after witnessing a standing room only crowd for five of the six workshops addressing students with special needs, I was not surprised.  My amazement turned into a reality:  teachers and some administrators are finally listening to us and see the need to address learning through music for the special needs learner.
     I do not have the nerves of steel like my son.  Cole has no fear when it comes to performing, talking to an audience, or engaging in conversation with a large crowd, so I try follow his lead when speaking.  This year was no different:  I had only ten minutes to get set up, microphone in place, and make sure my Power Point was ready to go with the projector.  I was a nervous wreck, but because of my amazing husband and son, we pulled it off without too many issues!  I feel truly blessed to have these two men in my life because they balance me.  Cole was ready to perform, my husband calmed my nerves, and we were ready to go at 6:30 p.m.  Little did I know my worry would turn into extreme joy when two musicians started us off:  music truly calms me and I am forever grateful for Tony and Frankie Rodriguez and their amazing mom, Erin!
     I learned a lot when I returned to SMU to complete my degree in Music Education, but as a mom to a son living with autism, I learn something new every day.  Music may have broken Cole's silence, but it also gave him a very powerful voice.  I am passionate about creating a universal music class for those who have a disability.  I have witnessed miracles and because of music, specifically "Jersey Boys", my life has been forever changed.  There are many roadblocks when creating a universal music classroom, but I think some people finally understand why we need this.  I want to keep encouraging music teachers, music therapists, principals, and administration in Texas to support this idea.  We have a universal p.e. class, a universal art class, so why can't we have a universal music class?  I know this can be created, but I encourage you to speak with your law makers. 
     What is a universal music class?  A universal music class describes how students from general education join students with disabilities during their modified music class, because learning could be best achieved for those who cannot participate in the general classroom setting. This alternative solution could be a great problem solver for the student and teacher in creating a rewarding learning experience for everyone involved. The universal music classroom should be created with four clearly outlined goals, in order to achieve positive outcomes for the student and the teacher.  Obviously, this would take a lot of planning, timing, and creating on both the special education teacher’s part, as well as the music teacher, because there is no such blueprint in Texas for this sort of class.  My goals and blueprint for this much needed class are:

1. Outline a class that uses musical concepts with music therapy ideas.
2. Explain what inspires you as a music teacher and offer a basic curriculum outline.
3. Outline exactly what a teacher can do to create a curriculum for modified music offerings.
4. Document all resources used and state where teachers can access them.

     
Obviously, I have put a lot of thought into this new idea, but I have seen this done in a self-contained setting.  I love teaching students through music, and if the state of Texas can wrap their brain around this brilliant concept, we are all winners!  Please talk to your administrators, music therapists, and special education teachers about this idea because it is a much needed class for those who are disabled.  Thank you T.M.E.A. for giving me the opportunity to present my workshop, "Reaching the Special Needs Learner Through Music."  Albert Einstein once said, “It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge”.  All students should be afforded the right to experience music, awaken their inner selves, as well as create beauty amongst others who may have a cognitive, physical, or learning disability.

No comments:

Post a Comment