Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Educating the Whole Family

     Educating the Whole Family

     I am saddened, disturbed, and confused about this election. How can we make America great again, in terms of receiving a world-class education? Do you see what I just did? I wrote a statement about education, but then spun it so you would see my point of view. As an American, I voted the second day of early voting, and I am so glad I did! I am not pleased with either candidate for the Republican or Democratic ticket, but I voted with my heart, insight, and how our next President and Congress will enact a better workforce for teachers and provide a world-class setting and curriculum for students. Do not ask me who I voted for through social media, because I won't tell you. I truly believe our country is great, but we must realize in order to have peace and serenity in the classroom, we first must educate parents.
     I have been in a behavioral classroom setting for over a week and it is maddening to think a magnet school can have a behavioral program. I would say 95% of the students at this school want to learn and be educated. My job was not an easy one, but I am so glad I had the option to leave before I was stabbed or punched in the face. I truly feared for my life yesterday because of the situation I was put in. Many parents, grandparents, and guardians of kids who receive special education services have written off their child. Shocking, I know, but it's a reality. The disgust I have for the families who refuse to educate themselves about their child's education goes beyond the classroom: it is a reflection of who they are at home and in public.
     My plea is this: if you are reading this right now and you have parents that cared about your education, call them up and thank them. As a teacher, I am supposed to teach the whole student, but I was not allowed to do this at my current school because of a student who exhibited violent tendencies towards me and other students. Due to federal law, I can't go into what this student did; however trust me when I say our country is doomed if we keep going down this path of no responsibility. There needs to be accountability at home in order to achieve what our nation needs: responsibility and accountability of parents, students who choose to behave badly, and respect for law enforcement. I have been told middle school is the hardest age to teach, and I believe it.
     Teachers, I commend you for giving your life to better this world, but once again, I need to take a break. Parents, DON'T BE IGNORANT. Kids don't need a friend or a pacifier, they need a parent who will take them to the doctor, listen to their needs, hold their hand when their heart is broken, but most of all, unconditional love. My students have been written off by their parents except one. I thank his grandmother for loving him, but also giving him a set of rules to follow at home.  I am a parent and wife first. I refuse to put myself in harm's way, just because a student thinks I am too white and need to be taught a lesson. Yes, these are the exact words one of my students told me when I was trying to teach him social studies. Our world is doomed if parents and students don't wake up and take responsibility for their actions. God bless America and let's make it great again!

No comments:

Post a Comment