Tuesday, November 8, 2016

A Life-Changing Decision

     A Life Changing Decision

     I was a Senior Vocal Performance/Music Education Major at SMU, Meadows School of the Arts. I thought I had life figured out. I had completed my junior recital, auditioned for Banff and Santa Fe Opera houses, and was preparing for my senior recital. I had finally found my voice. I also was overwhelmed with the idea that I didn't want to be a music teacher, but realized this was my path I had chosen. How was I going to tell my family that I didn't think teaching was my calling? I wanted to be a professional opera singer and wanted to attend LSU for more training (Master's degree in Vocal Performance). I had made my mind up and I was on my way home from SMU to tell my mom I was breaking up with my fiance, moving to Louisiana to pursue a Master's degree in Vocal Performance at LSU, and then it happened: I was hit directly into the side of my Blazer (think small SUV), and I lost consciousness. I don't remember getting hit, but our neighbor was out in his front yard and saw everything. I literally had pulled up in front of my house (we lived on a corner) and a sweet, little old lady did not see me. This car wreck changed my life. I am not bitter, but I am a better Christian because of this life-altering experience.
     I was 23 years old and I thought I knew everything. I was rushed to the hospital, due to this car wreck, but I was going to be okay. I was supposed to sing the next day for a wedding, but luckily, if you are a singer, you always know to have a back up plan. I don't remember who was getting married, but I remember it was going to be a large wedding. I felt bad for the bride, as I had been in a couple of weddings (as a bridesmaid). I knew the stress of planning a wedding and not getting what you paid for, so this was my first thought after the wreck. The reason I thought I knew it all was because I thought I had my life planned out, or so I thought. This car wreck changed my life, and I honestly don't know if I would be a professional opera singer now, but I do wonder "what if".
My brain was mush after this wreck. I had lost vision temporarily in my left eye, due to the pressure on my brain from this injury. My symptoms did not show up (slurred speech and trouble walking) for 3 days. Unfortunately, the ER didn't think to check my brain for internal bleeding, so I went home after this experience. The hospital was negligent and I blame them for not checking my brain. They did x-rays of my knees, ankles, and chest, but they "forgot" to do a CT scan on my brain. I kept asking the nurse why I couldn't see out of my left eye and she said it was only a scratched cornea, due to my glasses breaking my skin and cornea. She was WRONG. This experience changed me as a daughter, sister, and eventually a mom. I was NEVER taking NO for an answer, when it came to my health. How in the world could an ER nurse and doctor not see the pain I was in?
     I had an eye appointment 3 days later to check my cornea, and this is when I was sent back to the hospital. I fell asleep in the chair, woke up, and my speech was extremely slurred. The doctor thought I had a stroke in his office, so once again it was back to Presbyterian Hospital and the Emergency Room. The only thing I remember at this point is the wonderful Katherine Glaze Lyle praying over me and my mom. Katherine stood over us, took my hand, and prayed to God to heal me. From this moment on, I knew God was with me. I knew if I hadn't had my mom fighting for me, I would have ended up a statistic. My mom is a strong Christian, and because of her strong faith, I truly believe she found Katherine right when I needed God's healing grace. The reason I am telling you my story is because without my faith in God, I don't think I would have the life I currently have!
     I now sing for God. I don't sing for anyone else, because without my faith in God, I don't think I would have found my voice again. I had countless people praying for me, and because of them, I am stronger than I have ever been. I never blamed the lady who hit me because she had a lot on her plate. As it turns out, she was on her way home from Presbyterian Hospital and had just gotten her cast off from a broken arm. Her husband had Alzheimer's and she couldn't send him to a nursing home, so she was driving too fast when she hit me. The lesson I learned from this accident was always look ahead, pray for others that don't know how to pray to God for mercy and grace, and always realize that life can be taken away in an instant. Love your family, friends, and pray for those that don't know God. Without my faith in God, I don't know if I would have been healed. I had a major concussion and temporary bleeding, but because of the prayers said for me, I am a fully functional human being. I no longer have migraine headaches and I have the most beautiful 14 year old son from my first marriage (yes I am divorced and now have the most amazing and supportive husband). I don't look back; I thank God for giving me a second chance at life. My biggest accomplishment was going back to SMU and completing my degree in Music. I graduated from SMU, Meadows School of the Arts, on December 16, 2009. This date is significant to me because December 16th is my parent's wedding anniversary. This year, they are celebrating 52 years of marriage.

     God is good ALL THE TIME!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment