Monday, July 6, 2015

Where Has the Time Gone?

Where Has the Time Gone?
     I did not realize until tonight that I had not written anything (well at least on my blog) for three months!  I have been crazy busy writing curriculum for a proposal to the state of Texas to create a universal music class for all students in the state of Texas.  I also have been drafting and writing an article for TMEA's publication, Southwestern Musician, that addresses this important need:  a universal music classroom that takes into consideration all students' needs.  I am one blessed woman to know a lot of people that are helping me realize my value and worth as a music and special education teacher, which in return, makes me a better person.  I am not one to shy away from a challenge, and because of my strength, tenacity, and attitude to always strive to be the best, I know my dream of creating a music class for students who have severe handicaps will become a reality.
     I am not a curriculum writer, but I feel I am quite educated when it comes to teaching my son at home.  Cole and I have learned so much from each other, that I feel I need to say thank you to so many people who have influenced our lives.  My Nanny Comp was the first teacher who changed my life in a way that I can reflect upon and see how much her love for me encouraged me to become a teacher.  I loved math, but I did not like to read.  I know Nanny Comp is smiling down on me from Heaven and saying, "Great job, Erika.  You still need to read every day and learn something new, even if it's to dig a hole in the dirt and fill it back up with dirt.  You will understand what I mean by this, because you are learning and thinking in ways most people don't:  you are receiving the gift of an education."  She changed my life for good and because of Nanny Comp, I will always love math and tolerate reading because I am learning.  I learned early on that an education is not free, but it is a very valuable asset and tool when achieving life skills.
     Cole learns best by visually seeing what he needs to do on daily basis.  My awesome and most amazing husband created a hall specifically for me and Cole with multiple white boards, because early on we were told that Cole likes a visual schedule.  This summer has been nothing short of amazing because Cole is now reading his daily schedule, following the directions with only 2-3 reminders a day, and understands what he needs to do.  Cole is 13 years old and I honestly can say I never thought he would put away his clothes, take his dishes to the sink, take a shower without too much fuss, or fix his own fruit salad.  I credit my husband for creating this environment full of support and unconditional love, because without it, I honestly don't think Cole would be achieving these big milestones!  I love to learn, but I love to see the look on Cole's face when I tell him great job young man.  Cole has come so far, but I also expect him to continue to do great things with his life.  Cole is my hero and I love the incredible man he is becoming.  Did I mention Cole even goes grocery shopping with me and has his own basket with a list he has created?  That's our boy!
     I know my writing jumps around, but I think it is fitting to say I am excited about what the rest of the summer holds for us.  We always take one vacation a year with my parents and our spot is Galveston.  My mom grew up going to Galveston as a baby,  and we always made this a yearly trip from the time I was a baby at 5 months old.  We took a break for 9 years from vacationing to Galveston because the memories were raw and too painful for my mom.  We would stay in different hotels and condominiums when we went to Galveston, so when 1993 hit, we knew we had to stay in the exact same condominium as the previous year.  My granddaddy was slipping from us with the terrible disease, Alzheimer's, and we knew it was only a matter of time before he was going to die.  This would be the last trip Granddaddy Roy would take with us.  He died in 1994, and as I reflect on my wonderful memories of my Nanny and Granddaddy, I cherish those times the most.  I am so happy we now go back to Galveston, because not only do I have the best memories of walking down the beach, digging sand castles with Nanny and Granddaddy, and feeding the seagulls, we are now creating memories for years to come with Cole, my brother, his children, and my parents.  
     I will sign off for now, but if you enjoy reading my blog, please let me know!  To all of the families that are affected by autism every day, it gets easier.  We have struggled and gotten through traumatic summers, but we have pressed on.  Keep your head up, don't strive to survive, cease the day because you never know what the next day holds!  Enjoy your loved ones, take help when you know you need it, but most of all, be there for your child.  Your children will never forget what you do for them, even if you think it's ridiculous!  I am beyond blessed to have an amazing support system, full of wonderful friends (you know who y'all are) and family.  Have a great summer and I will talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment